Friday, April 29, 2011

God's Angle

I finally decided to get back to a quilting project I hadn’t worked on for months.  I gathered the now rumpled fabrics from the pile on the floor and ironed each one, layering them onto a couple of coat hangers hooked over an old floor lamp.  Merrily I pieced together a few blocks in my embroidery hoop and then didn’t get back to it again for a week or so.  I was probably distracted by having to clean the house and cook a few meals.  When I finally found time to work on the project again I couldn’t find one of the fabrics.  Obviously it was time to clean the sewing room, so I pulled up some teaching tapes and tackled the job.  Days later I still hadn’t found the fabric and the room was cleaner than any sewing room deserves to be.  Ok, so I didn’t wash and polish the floor, but I did sweep, even though that obviously wouldn’t help me find my missing fabric.  Every day I relooked in places I’d already looked.  So one day I look again in the cabinet where I keep a shelf of quiltable fabrics getting on my hands and knees to look from a different angle, up rather than down.  It wasn’t there.  But as I turn to get up off my knees I see it peeking out from under one of the fabrics hanging on the coat hanger on the old lamp where I’d placed it after ironing it a month ago.  Yes, I’d looked there first.
            It was a poignant reminder that it’s from our knees looking up that we’re best able to see from the angle God has for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment